Tuesday, April 15, 2008

New years or soaking wet

The whole "please don't shoot I have a camera" thing... doesn't really work!

WoW. I mean, Really... WOW.... 3 days have gone by, and I'm amazed I've passed through them, alive, without a pneumonia or at least a cold. I was soaking wet for 3 straight days. I was having total fun for 3 straight days. It was unbelievable.
The bus came to a sudden halt, which woke me up. I was gratefully feeling a bit better, after the rough ride and the sickness I've had all of the day before. Me and Ofer went together to book a room at some fancy shmensy hotel he desired to dwell in prior to his flight home. I really didn't mind, even though It was costing me a relative fortune, but I wanted for a change to stay at something a bit more classy than the usual dump of choice. Anyways, after securing our luggage, we went out...
Hardly a minute passed by, and already we were fleeing from mobs of energetic Thai people with huge squirt guns and buckets of freezing water. But alas, the scene of war was everywhere, and scores of foreigners were staggering along the sidewalks as if they were beaten to a pulp with a wet twinky. We could only join their ranks, and laugh like crazy about that.
And it was only the beginning.
At about 4pm, the streets were insanely packed with humans of every kind. men, women and the undefined were dancing, shouting and screaming to the beat of the sub woofers next to them while spraying water everywhere and smearing gray clay on every one passing them by. Hot girls and hot Lady-boyz were standing a top of small stages everywhere, dancing like professional pole dancers while holding the "4 beers for 100 baht" ads. From time to time, groups of medical teams were rushing towards the moving mass of the crowd, trying to rescue countless fainting girls from exhaustion.
All the foreigners could do, was to hide in their rooms, or join the raging sinners. I, of course, joined. For 3 days and nights, Ofer and I were touring different places in Bangkok (mostly to satisfy his urge for last minute shopping), but everywhere we went, war was raging on different scales. On MBK for example, which is a huge mall, clerks and shop-keepers were firing upon Innocent shoppers, usually without any means of counteracting. I on the other hand, had two blazing water guns ready for action, and I spared no one! whether it was a jewelry shop or a clothing shop, whoever fired upon me got the full Monty of my wrath!
but it was fun :)

since water was everywhere for the duration of the festival, It was really dangerous taking out the camera, since i did not have any cover to protect it. Many others tried different approaches to the problem - We saw one day a man who covered his entire SLR camera with Always ultra pads, for better protection. Others put their cameras in plastic bags and hoped for the best. I tried it, but the quality of the pics is relatively poor. But I still would like to try to convey the actual feeling of being at this sort of festivities for 3 whole days. You can do it yourself by going to the shower and just stay there for 18 hours a day while putting on a facial mask and chalk on your hair.
otherwise, you could try to watch my pics, and imagine what it could be.

1 comment:

P IxI said...

Hey! I'm your new friend from Argentina. Let's share a post :)