Monday, February 23, 2009

The Welcoming comittee

I'll spare you the monumental struggle I've been having lately with my own self to reach this moment where I'm actually trying to write something, like in the ol'e days. So let's move on.
Ah, the great kingdom of Britain! And its lovely grayish city of London! The capital! the centre of it all!
First thing I did upon arrival, besides putting on a sweater, kissing Raquel passionately and driving on the wrong side of the road, was to put a picture of the sun hanging on the wall next to the loo (British for bathroom). Flat chance I'll ever get to see it again.
I arrived on a Wednesday. I had plenty of time to prepare myself mentally for my upcoming first day of school (self chuckle). So did Raquel. We dedicated the next 4 days for catching up on lost time. We even had a late valentine's day on Saturday, dining in a fancy restaurant and actually paying for the food in the end. We even went out for a picnic in a nice big park, when it was relatively nice outside (-100 degrees).
But, all in all, we both knew that the whole point of me settling down in London had nothing to do with me being the eternal Bum. On the contrary, dear watsons... I was more than obliged to prove, both to myself and to Raquel, that I do remember how people make a living these days -

I have to get a job.

I have to get some friends.

I have to open facebook.
... oh dear.
oh, and a footnote. I was walking for a couple of hours around the area of the hospital where Raquel works, when I had to go to the... loo... forget the fact that I had to pay 20 "pee" to get in, I encountered a very nice welcoming note on the door. You can figure it out for yourself.

No comments: