Sunday, March 23, 2008

Road trip or back to Bangkok


"Dewwwd! Trying to col u but can't reach, wat time u arriving? Cuz we're goin on a roadtrip tonight!"

I got that sms message from Jasper as I opened my phone in Bangkok, after a tiring 16 hours on the road all the way from Pai to chiang mai and back to Bangkok. I was sleepy, groggy and smelly, but also excited. Road trip? cool. I don't remember ever being to one.

So I stored my luggage back at the Israeli connection, and I was soon on my way towards Jaspers apartment. after we met happily once again, I cleaned myself up, and set sail towards the Australian embassy, where my Passport was waiting for me. Unfortunately, as I arrived there, I stumbled upon locked doors, due to one "Good-friday" holiday that apparently appears every year on Easter. So I strolled back to Jaspers place, and at about 7 pm, we met with Praw, Fai and Malcolm. I already have met Praw and Fai and it was good to see them again, and Malcolm, the painter, seemed a clever guy, so after quick introduction, we were on our way towards an unknown destination, on our roadtrip.

three and a half hours later (and a lot of silly talk during the ride) we arrived close to the sea shore, south of Bangkok, where we searched for a nice place to stay for the night.

We found a relatively cheap hut, at 1200 baht (35 dollars) which was big enough for the five of us, and the location was beautiful, even during the night. We quickly settled ourselves on the porch where drinks and food appeared out of nowhere, like magic, and for the rest of the night we played drinking games. wisps of smoke coming from the hookah filling up my friends lungs with sweet strawberry flavor while I was teaching them a drinking card game I only recently learned from the Israelis I've been hanging with. And I wish I weren't, since I was the first one to fall due to excessive drinking.
I only remember waking up once at 5 am with a strong burning sensation all over my body, what I figured out the next morning to be coming from too much mosquito bites (some 40 of them). Luckily, I was too drunk and too tired to stay awake and cry like a baby.
The next morning at about 9:00 am, we somehow managed to wake up, almost all of us still half drunk and feeling sick (but happy), and we made it to the car, and drove to a resort hotel, where many activities, such as paintball, bowling, nano-bikes and so on were held. After a single and horrible match of bowling, we went to do the Zorb, only after we found out some of us were too fat to go on the nano-bikes (well.. only me). I didn't do the Zorb ball myself, since I was feeling too sick to even think of spinning carelessly inside a huge ball, but altogether, it was fun and insanely hot at the same time.


After some rest at a fancy restaurant, where I ate an ostrich steak (actually good), we drove back to the edges of Bangkok, the fancy neighborhood of Praw, where we chilled at the local pool.

At about 6:30 pm we settled back at Praws beautiful villa, where I had the chance of meeting her pet, an adorable gliding squirrel. At 7 pm we all drove to the center of town, where we parted for a while, each one going to his own dinner plans and parties. Me and Jasper went to a birthday party of Jaspers friend, where there was good free food and a pleasant company to converse with, all Filipinos But not long after, we were again joining up with Fai, Praw and Malcolm, and we enjoyed the rest of the night together at different pubs and clubs, as a sort of a finale to a fine fun road trip.
The next morning, Jasper and I met with a friend of his, Rea, whom we met the day before at the birthday party. We made her make us lunch at his apartment. At about 5 pm, after a sleepy noon, we went, once again, to meet with Praw and Fai (mainly because I forgot my towel in Praws car). We joined together for a calming afternoon in a park, drinking Malibu and pomegranates, and just talking.

Once again, we parted ways, hopefully not for good, and Jasper and I went to one of the huge theaters at the center of town, where we met Rea and some other friends of Jasper whom I've met before. We watched a horror movie, called shutter (not really recommended), and we concluded the night, and the whole of the weekend.

Monday came, and Japser returned to his work routine, and I was on my way to the Australian embassy, to finally get my passport and visa. After a long 2 hours of waiting in line, I received my Passport back.

Unfortunately, my application was denied.

so, what now?

No comments: