Friday, July 11, 2008

Battle at Shanghai

"It would be so easy to find a job in here!.. All you have to do is speak English and the companies will kidnap you!.. It was be a walk in the park for you!

YEAH RIGHT...

not only it's nearly impossible, I've been also walking not only through all the parks, but all over Damn Shanghai, from one office space to another, directly going to those English schools just to get an interview!

Ok. I'll start from the top.

It's been two weeks now, though it felt like a month. For some reason I remember the first days quit clearly; me and Raquel were casually walking along the touristic streets, enjoying the lively gigantic city view. We were young and carefree.
It seems so long ago.
Then, an Idea was born.
You see, As the days wore on, Raquel and I grew more cautious of the time we've got left together. Raquel's flight back to London is on the 25th, and we did everything we could to try to change it, delay it, refund it, exchange it, eat it and so on. Alas, Our efforts were in vein, and that dreadful deadline was fast on our trail, and it seemed that nothing could stop our upcoming separation.
So, it seemed that desperate times call for desperate measures. That was when the idea of settling down in Shanghai came to be. That decision meant many things, such as sacrificing many good traveling days for the benefit of job searching without any success guarantees. But after asking around for a bit, we were easily reassured that finding a job as an English teacher (not many other options for people who don't speak Chinese) is easy. All you need to do is speak English, and you're in.
I regret to inform anyone with that thought, that its total bull-shit. Really, crap, false, lie and so on. Unfortunately me and Raquel learned the slow, hard way what do you have to Be in order to get a job as a English teacher, whether its for kindergarten kids, or for business college students.

We began the normal logical way - searching through the internet for various Schools and E-mail addresses to send our CV's. Every day we found new internet sites, new job offers, and our resumes were sent to practically all the known English schools.
But nothing happened.
According to my estimates, we sent our resumes to at least to 15 different locations, but no replies were ever made.
Needless to say, we grew a bit restless, so we hopped to the next level of contact - Phones. I got a hold of a Chinese sim-card, and we began a verbal harassing to all those companies. That got us a little progress, since my spoken English is pretty bloody awesome sometime, but we hit a new wall - the "NATIVE" English speaker prerequisite. doesn't matter how well I speak the language - If I wasn't born in a "Native" English speaking country, I can just forget about the whole thing.
And, of course, our last concern - Experience.
Both Raquel and I aren't good at lying, nor we are willing to lie, so every time we were asked about our experience, we replied meekly that we have practically none. I sat in front of I don't know how many Chinese women who, without saying, claimed that they have nothing to offer me due to my lack of experience and my incorrect location of birth. Sorry mom.
So now, we are stuck. I have an interview on tuesday, the one and only I managed to squeeze, even though they have seen my resume. But that's about it.
It seems getting a job here wasn't meant for us. It means also that staying together would be our new problem, pretty damn soon.

No comments: