Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Pay per view, or Terracotta Museum

Due to silly error by my part, or maybe by some peculiar fate, 90% of my pictures taken from the last couple of days, including the terracotta warriors museum, were deleted. still Though, through hard work and patience, I have recovered a few of them through various softwares for data recovery. Unfortunately, many of the good pictures I've intended on showing here today wander somewhere above us in the deleted files Heaven. Well, let's start the show then, shall we? But first, just to prepare you properly for this journey, I would like you to view the HOUND OF HELL!!!



OK, now you're good to go.

Me and Tim woke up the next morning, had a bit of breakfast, and met the new guys... well, new girls. These girls were so fresh in the whole business of Backpacking I could smell it a mile away, but I guess they were "lucky" to have me and Tim as a soft start...

After a bit of questioning, I discovered that the Girls, Ana and Lidi, were Slovenian, quite a rarity in the whole traveling business, and they were on a Chinese language learning mission. They gladly joined our forces in the Tour-de-Terracotta we had set for the day, and soon we were on our way.

After an hour or so, getting out of the city into the gloomy smoggy unknown of Xian area, we were dropped off the entrance to the excavation site that turned into a museum. Of course, we had to pay... 90 Yuan on the spot just to get a glimpse of the unearthed ruins of the great first emperor of China proper. Of course, I hate paying, especially to museums, but I guess if I'm in China already....

We paid the ransom money, and began the long march towards the main area, where the Museum is divided into separate buildings, 3 of them were built around the dig sights that were made since 1970-something.
We chose the right building at random to be our first checkpoint, and it turned out to be a sort of an art collection of the various finds there were at the dig sights. Naturally, it was boring like hell and interesting as watching iron rusts, Yet many people were drawing out their flashing cameras and pointing them wherever they only could, mainly straight into my retinas. So I joined them.


WoW

After we finished this small challenge, we pondered about walking into the museum section about the museum itself, which is a paradox by itself... and then we just thought better of it and fled the premises.


On to the next building, we entered a huge warehouse of the the second dig sight. It was huge, and contained a lot of... well... Absolutely nothing! Maybe a piece of shattered warrior here, a horses ass there, but other than that, it was big and empty.




WoW!

The few artifacts that they have recovered from the dig sight were perhaps the ones that were displayed on the corner of the warehouse. Not really exciting, but interesting, one may say.


WOW!!!!


I, on the other hand, found another thing that was far more interesting...




We moved on to the next building, dig sight number 3. It was much smaller, but it actually contained a lot of warriors, some headless, and artifacts. Also inside the building was a small shop that offered a spooky 3d rendering of your face onto a Terracotta warriors body.


Our little tour ended inside the crown jewel of the whole museum, pit number 1 - A huge warehouse filled up with rows upon rows of clay warriors, horses and the like. all standing at guard, waiting for their masters call. All the pictures I took were destroyed, but the video survived the photo-caust.

You'll have to excuse the video... it is directed to Raquel, so there's a lot of mushy stuff... :)


oh, and don't believe me when I say 6000 warriors... there were barely 600. most of the holes are empty.


After a bit of rest, we headed back to the city, and roamed around for a bit, till evening came and we could watch the lights illuminating the bell tower and its counterparts of the center of town.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG that is amazing!!!
Muchas gracias papi!
I wish I could be there with you! I miss you so much...
I love you
Raquel