Sunday, December 16, 2007

Week 1 - To be alone or why the subway smells...

Only when I was sitting down for the first time on the heated chairs of the subway towards my hostel in South korea, have I realized that I was officially stepping into new uncharted land. That feeling wasn’t aroused in Bangkok, and with no wonder – half of the population are either Israeli or at least English speaking foreigners. But here, I was the only foreigner in the compartment… probably on the whole train itself, and I could feel for the first time what you can consider as solitude. Sure, there were other people, Korean people, playing with their transformer like phones or watching small TVs, but none of them would provide any comfort for this feeling. Even help with directions was a rare commodity, since most of the Koreans are clueless about any language other than their own. So there I was sitting, holding to the subway system map as if my life depends on it, thinking already that I know everything there is to know about the Korean culture, and only by the chill atmosphere hanging above the heated metal seats of the subway.

so I finally arrived at Namsan hostel. It only took about 40 minutes of subway changing and some 10 minutes of sign language conference with a cute clerk lady at a glasses shop. It took me a while, but I grew fond of my hostel. At first I was a little disoriented from the petit size of the room, but after a fashion, I began to like it. Sure, its small, and the walls are one inch thick and I have exactly 3 centimetres of toe stretching when I sleep… but hey, its home. Above all, it contributed to my understanding of some peculiarities concerning the the east-asian culture of small housing. I’m sure that, given the chance and money, they would buy big houses with tons of stuff inside, but they have adapted themselves to a metropolitan way of living, and the hardship that comes with it. This culture does not abide to our western holy crusade of a home sweet home adventure. They do not need it, since they rarely see their home. We can call it cruel, or a hard way of living, but it seems to be functioning. Instead of establishing their homes as a base of operations, they combine work and pleasure altogether, leaving their homes with the task of serving as a sleep station and a place of meeting the family from time to time. It is not really unusual since we can spot this same behaviour in other mega-cities all over the world. However, in East-Asia this practice has been perfected. Many workers are living in huge company buildings spread all over Seoul. It’s the same as living in dormitories. So they go to work in the morning, and come back at hours that range from 20:00-24:00 in the evening, and that is mostly because they tend to spend their time with their working friends right after work hours. And that is why the subway always smells like cheap alcohol from 19:00.

But hey, I got my own problems, and alone isn’t one of them.


(in the picture: one of many complex buildings belonging to large companies in Korea. there their workers are dwelling with their families, probably to be closer to work.)

4 comments:

E.S. said...

Wellcome to the world of online graphomania, my friend. Good to know you are managing to have some fun there and are not above creepy looking food.
BTW they won't let you into Japan if you can't spell karaoke!

Unknown said...

Wow, 1st of all, you English is PREFECT!!!
2nd: seems like travelling in the big world alone opens our way of expressing ourselves. We try (an want) to understand what's going on and naturally we compare it with our own daily behavior... but you don't let the differences bound you, so I'm happy you're travelling around, having fun and exploring your HOME (and yourself too!)

Have fun!!!

Abigail =D

Anonymous said...

Gilad-san, it's fun reading your blog! You make me want to be there too, sitting in the subway and trying to understand another culture... plus,i would definately be more comfortable in the tiny rooms ;-) Traveling alone is great, isn't it?
You write beautifully, keep it up! I promise to read everything.
Liron

Anonymous said...

As once a smart man said - when you got to shoot - shoot, don't talk, I can say I am very happy for you.
With disregard to the quiet life we've learn to miss, you have left to the far far easy, with nothing but a bag I advised against taking (as mine is better, and more experienced, too), and several things in it, and left us a black-white cat with psychosis.

In your local absence (one cannot say you absent - after all - there you are!), I had had to take a task and finish GH II in hard. This is far from the levels expected by the cats in this place, and their criticizing looks chased me as I was playing freebird with only some fingers still functioning.
I am glad to say I was up to the task, and was taken to the damn stars, to do whatever people who are taken to the stars do.

Too much work makes your mind soggy, I use to say, and still work hard, or at least - long hours. This prevents me the pleasure of having a conversation with you through the technological means at hand. With luck, I will be lurking nearby my machine-of-evil-and-of-faith all day long during Saturday, and you will be able to get me, if you will try.

I am happy for you on your trip, and amazed, to be honest, by the high level of language you have adopted. A descriptive and lyric way of showing the life outside our little bubble, and it does seem different.

So, a question to you - do you spend as much time as your fellow metropolitans @ home, or do you actually spend some time there, doing things other than sleeping?

Also, posing another question. One you know I ask repeatedly. This one I will not post online, as I know you know I know we know which one it is.

Cheers, and may you endure only happiness. Rabi Nachman from Braslev (I hope I'm writing it right) used to say that when a man thinks he has troubles, God says to himself "Are these troubles? I will show him real troubles", but when a man thinks he is happy, then God shows him utmost luck and happiness. Courtesy of one of the lousiest TV shows you could have found here. You are lucky, as you cannot get exposed to it. I hope. It sux in so many ways, I can hardly count.

Well - this was a long post. Dash and slash from my love, myself, and the cats, of course (the black-white misses you so dearly... She sat in a green bag today and looked so funny...). Enjoy and prosper!

Ez