Sunday, February 10, 2008

Back in Tokyo

NOOooooo!!! they yelled at me in unison as I was reaching for the bottle, and in a ninja like speed all three girls had thrown their hands, the first for the bottle, the second for the glass, and Kumi san for my hands. Even the waitress looked appalled by the almost disastrous event, and all I could do is yell back SUMIMASEN!!! what did I do?!

I really thought that the day was going on smoothly. Kumi and I started off by going to a unique Ice sculpturing that resided next to a beautiful lake surrounded by snowy mountains. Later on we stopped at a nice modern hot springs onsen, which had more than 9 different kinds of pools - green tea, white flower, bubbly wobbly and so on... After that unforgettable relaxation, we headed back home in order to rest prior the evening schedule. As the evening was setting down on the suburban planes of Hokkaido, we took a train towards the main city of Sapporo, there we were to meet two friends of Kumi. There, after a lovely conversation, all hell broke loose...

Yeah yeah... I think my fingers are stuck with that V sign.


"What did I do?!" I thought I heard myself asking again... all I wanted is to pour me a cold one since I didn't think it would be polite to drink straight from the bottle.

"No!" Kumi pleaded... "What are you doing"?

"...Drinking beer?" I answered honestly.

"You Do not do that!"

".... What... beer?"

"No!... It is very bad luck!"
"What... BEER?!"

"NO! to pour to yourself!"

"........What?"

"Beer from bottle", she explained slowly, "and sake... you don't pour to yourself... very bad luck"

"so wait... now I need you to pour me beer every time I finish drinking this tiny glass?!"
And so it came to be, that for the next half hour, I was being served by all three girls... I drink, they pour... the funny thing is was that as they were doing it, they were complaining to me about all the times that they had to pour the sake and beer to the men at company parties, just because they are women...

DA-ME!!! the notorious signal for DON'T DO THAT


After finishing eating (it was more nibbling for me) at that restaurant, we went to this fashionable Fruit pub... yes.... a Fruit pub... the entrance was literally littered with Oranges and the likes, and all the food had the fruity theme to it... including the beer. But, it was actually a nice experience... they even gave each one of us a bag full of fruits as we went home.

old lady sings Karaoke at an ice house in central Sapporo


The next day Kumi and I met another friend of hers, apparently her best friend... we started off at an all you can eat fancy shmansy restaurant... and I really ATE all I can eat... poor bastards.... they didn't see it coming. Later on we drove off to a theme-park zoo. the park, and the zoo, were quite neglected, and all was covered with a thick layer of snow, but all in all the company I was with was worth the while.


Red Panda, or something...

After that, I parted with Kumi, who had to go by herself to a meeting with her sempai (older brother kind of relationship... too complicated to explain), and I was picked up by her brother, Go-san, and together we went back home, there, his mother was waiting for us with delightful and very simple dinner, and I ate like a pig. After spending some quality time with Go-san, it was picture time with all of the family (a Gaijin privilege).

Me and Kumi`s mom, Sachiko




Go-san, Kumi san and Idiot-san


Unfortunately, that was my last day at Kumi`s house... the next day I got a lift to the airport from Kumi, and we, sadly, parted from each other.

To tell you the truth, It was really hard for me. The jolt I get everytime someone I just made an attachment with is gone, probably forever, is quite hard on me poor little heart. YES, I know that thats part of the trip, part of the experience, blah blah blah... I know all that philosophy in shekel... it doesn't make it better.



If you are reading this Kumiko, Know that I had tons of fun. really. really really.

oh, and stop smoking!!! ;)

Back in Tokyo

Ahh, the city that never rests. the Giantic megalopolis. The Heart of Japan. TOKYO!

crap.

Once again, I am on my own. I didn't even find any comfort in mingling with the guys from the hostel, since, well, they're annoying like hell... one of them is from New-Zealand and I cant understand what the heck he is saying, and the other one is an old British chump, which also speaks Gibberish for English... I keep imagining to myself that they always say something about Kiwi and sheep.... I don't get it.

But I guess it takes sometime to adjust to being alone each time...trying to shake the moody mood, I went to a club... yes, me... a CLUB... and it was pretty awesome... and yesterday I spent a good 3 hours at the Free-Hugs zone, and it had really lifted my spirit up... and even I got to spend some time today with Kumi, who happened to be in Tokyo before her flight...

well... now I have to think about what to do next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the polaniya has to say that at least I'm glad you're eating! :P

Looks like you're having fun - let us know how it went at the Aussie embassy today!

Anonymous said...

hey! actually. i try to quite smoking. cause here ERIE, i cannot find where can i get it. and nobody smoke. so i can quite easily!
i also had a lot of fun with you. and Maki who was going to the zoo together started to study English! it was very nice experience for everyone. thank you! i wanna see you again!